Change of Address – How to Notify the IRS

If your address has changed, you need to notify the IRS to ensure you receive any IRS refunds or correspondence. There are several ways to notify the IRS of an address change.

If you change your address before filing your return, write the new address in the appropriate boxes on your return when you file. When your return is processed, the IRS will update your records.

If you change your address after filing your return, you should notify the post office that services your old address. Because not all post offices forward government checks, notifying the post office that services your old address ensures that your mail will be forwarded, but not necessarily your refund check.

To change your address with the IRS, you may complete a Form 8822 (PDF), Change of Address, and/or a Form 8822-B (PDF), Change of Address — Business and send them to the address shown on the forms. You may download Form 8822 and Form 8822–B from or order them by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).

You may also write to inform the IRS of your address change. If you write, the IRS needs your full name, old and new addresses, Social Security Number, Individual Taxpayer Identification Number or Employer Identification Number and your signature. If you filed a joint return, you should provide the same information and signatures for both spouses. Send your written address change information to the IRS service center where you filed your last return. The service center addresses are listed in the instructions to the tax forms.

If you filed a joint return and you and/or your spouse have since established separate residences, you both should notify the IRS of your new addresses.

Source: Internal Revenue Service
Last reviewed: September 27, 2013